A lone voice crying from the Sonoran desert.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Education Recession Convergence

Most People who know me know that in addition to being an FFL that I'm also a full time Educational Counselor for a Large University, ok, the largest University. My job is to talk to people all day about going to school, why they want to, what they want to study, what classes they want to take, what the degree is going to do for them.

Honestly, I love my job. I love talking to people and providing the solution I wish I'd had when I was 18 trying to figure out school.

It gets even better when I hear back from students years after I help them enroll. I heard recently from 2 students I helped into their Masters programs about 2 years ago. I haven't spoken with them in probably a year or more. Most of my contact with them was the full 2 years ago.

They finished their degrees, loved the program and were so excited to have it. Both have now achieved better jobs and making BANK! How much bank? I wish I was making half that much bank. Thats how much. In fact one of them was so grateful he still says he owes me a beer next time he's in the valley. I haven't had the heart to tell him I'll take a coke.

Why am I sharing all this?

Because everyone is so nervous with the recession that they are afraid is going to happen/happening right now. Ok if I had jumped into a too expensive house when prices were up (simple econ, buy low, sell high), but most geniuses bought hi and are now trying to survive low when their monthly is HIGH! Then I'd probably be nervous too. But that's life and consequences.

But I must admit I've had a lot of exasperation lately talking with people who are forty still in an entry level position, and afraid to move on with their education, because of the recession.

I'm digesting this. If the sky is falling WHY oh WHY would you hold still!?

If you don't have a degree and are afraid your not qualified to hold your seat at the table, shouldn't you be preparing to dodge that bullet you can see a year or more off?

If I was trying to not lose my job I'd make myself better qualified. If I thought I was going to lose it anyway, I'd put myself in a better position to replace my job, and I'd quite to go to another job before they could fire me, i'm sorry not PC, lay me off.

Now I know a degree isn't for everyone, but if you work in an office and don't have a degree... If your industry usually hires those with degrees but you snuck into it... Yeah I'm talking to you. Good luck.

No comments: